Tuesday, February 22, 2011

pinterest

I have finally started my Pinterest boards! If you don't read 500 blogs like I do and you have not been introduced to Pinterest yet, let me tell you about it. It's a place to save and organize your inspiration from around the web. It's similar to Image Spark, which I have mentioned on this blog before, but oh so much better. Sure sure, I have gotten a lot of use out of Image Spark, and I can appreciate its ease of use. All I had to do was right click an image and click save to Image Spark. It automatically stored where I found the image, and then I could tag the photo if I wanted. Moodboard possibilities were there, but limited. It worked for me. Until... Here's the thing. They don't really care what kind of images are stored there. As long as it can be considered artistic and inspirational, you can save it there. And it can show up when you search the site. As any half aware person who has been on the internet can guess, that means it was taken over by nudity pretty quickly. Kind of annoying.

Then one day I started hearing people talking about something called Pinterest. It happened pretty quickly, actually, and I was seeing it all over the place. And I put off looking into it because once I've settled into something and accepted its faults, it's pretty easy to just stick with it. It's within my comfort zone. It works, for the most part. And it doesn't take up any of my time. But finally last week (I'm not even sure what spurred it on) I put myself on the waiting list to get a Pinterest account. 

At first inspection, it seemed to be pretty redundant. Lots of multiples show up because several people re-pin the same image. Fine. Then I found out that the main means of pinning images is through a button on my menu bar, and I was a little bit baffled. I like the right click option. I'm used to the right click option. It makes sense to me. I don't know if I'm going to like this. I wasn't even sure how it was going to work, how it would save the correct image if there were several images on the screen when I clicked the button? Well wouldn't you know it, they thought of that. It's actually a clean, simple user interface and it works quite well. And suddenly I have found myself in an easy to navigate world of folders and tags and more easily accessible inspiration. And it incorporates a little social networking so you can see what your friends are loving on the internet. 

Great. 
Sounds good.
I am sold.

Now I have the daunting task of moving my images from Image Spark over to Pinterest. Organizing them. Tagging them. But being a little bit more careful about what I'm saving over there, so as to not give away any wedding surprises.

So I guess it would be a little bit silly to write this whole post about saving pictures and not post any, right? Here's some great detail shots I found while coming up with ideas and a shot list for my wedding photographer.


1 comment: