Saturday, January 15, 2011

A funny thing happened on the phone the other day...

Hello?

Is this Mrs. Fort?

pause
fumble

Uhm, yeah?

I didn't really know what else to say, so I just said yes. It was an interesting feeling. I've gotten used to people at work asking about my "husband" and I have stopped correcting them because really, what's the point? But this is officially my first Mrs. Fort experience. 
It has also sparked inside me something I had been vaguely thinking about which is doing some real writing about becoming a wife and what that means. Then I get a little geeked out on the thought of stacks of books and research and notes and highlighters and real writing not just blogging. Yeah, but not any time soon. I'm not crazy enough to think I'm going to have time for that with fixing up a house, planning a wedding, and working full time on top...
So I guess I just wanted to let you know what was on my mind.


3 comments:

  1. I've read Marriage: A History and would really recommend it! You could totally fit it into your busy schedule, especially if reading is already part of your days.
    http://www.amazon.com/Marriage-History-Obedience-Intimacy-Conquered/dp/067003407X

    (This is one of my favorite research topics, and was (kind of) what I wrote my thesis on in college, and (partly) what I hoped to study in grad school. Maybe that book is not what you're looking for, but it was the most comprehensive and interesting one I found on the topic, and I was jealous I didn't get to research/write it myself!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation, I think I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That happened in Germany in '07 when we were on the Bier Tour. All the cool people we met & were talking to kept referring to Dave as 'my husband'. You just stop correcting after a while! Dave has been calling you guys the 'Forts' for a while now too :)

    ReplyDelete